This Week With Gazelles: July 30-Aug 5
Congratulations to Gazelles who ran this past weekend in the San Francisco Marathon:
Herbert Stern 3:48:32 (BQ and 6th in age group)
Brooke Ziel 1:59:30
Meghan Dickerson 1:59:53
Stephanie Messerli 3:33:53
If you're considering running a half or full marathon this November or December, come join the Gazelles and get results!
Gilbert's Tip of the Week: SHOES
How many pairs of running shoes do you have?
It is recommended that you have at least two different pairs of running shoes. Not just two pairs of the same model, but two different models, maybe even different brands. Why?
- Some shoes are more appropriate for certain runs. For example, a lighter weight shoe is more appropriate for speed work. A more cushioned or supportive shoe might be needed for long runs.
- Some shoes, especially more cushioned ones, can take up to 24 hours to fully restore their cushioning.
- Running in the same model of shoes every run allows your feet and legs to get accustomed to only that pair of shoes. According to some studies, a different model will change your foot strike just enough to not over stress the exact same muscles and tendons of your feet and lower legs, which can result in fewer injuries.
and speaking of shoes...
Stop by The Loop for a Special Gazelles Shop Night
Saturday, Aug. 4 from 6-9 pm.
The Loop is hosting a private, members only, Gazelle Shop Night! Discounts up to 40% and other special promotional sales just for Gazelles and any friend or family member you want to bring. Drinks and light bites provided.
Will you be running for the water this November? The Gazelle Foundation's annual Run For The Water 10-miler, 5K, and Kids K is November 4th, 2018. Registration prices increase August 1st, so register now! For each registration in the 10-Miler or 5K, the Gazelle Foundation is able to ensure one more person in Burundi access to clean drinking water for the rest of his or her life.
Member Highlight: Taylor Sherwood
What prompted you to join Gazelles and when did you join?
I started running with the Gazelles in 2010. Gilbert was my daughter’s high school cross country and track coach. When I first saw Gilbert at work with the kids, I immediately recognized he was an extraordinary coach. I introduced myself as a parent of one of his athletes and asked him what could I do as a parent volunteer to help him do what he does best, coach those kids. After working with him a few weeks Gilbert asked me, “Why aren’t you running with me?” I responded, “Gilbert, I am a tennis player, and not in high school anymore.” Gilbert smiled his big smile and said “Come run with my Gazelles.” Who could refuse?
Which group do you run with?
What's your favorite workout and why?
I enjoy them all. Throughout the year and the seasons, every workout has a purpose and a place within our training plans. Currently my favorites are the circuit workouts. I am managing an injury and not able to run as far as I would like. I now spend several hours weekly performing exercises very similar to the “20/20." The circuit workouts help me heal and become stronger.
How has Gazelles changed your running/life?
As a Gazelle, I have enjoyed making friends with people I might not have met had I not started running. I found I can be competitive (in my geezer age group) in shorter distances around the track and hope to continue as long as I can keep up the pace.
What's your favorite Gilbert-ism or best story about him?
Gilbert is such a celebrity and a man of joy. Wherever he is in Austin he sees people and friends that wave, smile, and want to say hello. Not many in this world can spread such joy.
Each Gazelle featured in the Member Highlight has been selected randomly from our active member list.
Reminder, we have free PT injury assessments and evaluations available during the week. These include a brief history, examination of your injury, and advice on what to do next. Under Texas State Law, physical therapists must have a referral (prescription on file) from a physician in order to treat a patient. Because of this, the PT assessments only evaluate and provide advice, they can not treat you without a referral. PT's are available:
- Monday 6:15-6:45am at the workout location (check the Gazelle schedule for location) with "Dr. Ross," Ross Bomben, Performance Therapy Group
- Wednesday 5:30-7:00am at Gazelles HQ with Cody McGrath, Mondo Sports Therapy
- Friday (open to the public) from 12-1pm at Gazelles HQ with Pieter Kroon and/or Katie Gwyn, Mondo Sports Therapy
We welcome positive comments! You do not need to log in to comment or post a question, simply enter your name and comment as a guest.
Questions or content requests/submissions? Email email@example.com.